Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Where Were You?

Today marks the 28th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley. I know that Elvis isn't from East Texas. He's not even remotely close to being Texan. But, when the big guy kicked the bucket, it was big news. In fact, I remember EXACTLY where I was when I heard the news. I was in East Texas!

My mother and I had gone to visit my grandmother in DeKalb, Texas. As was our custom, we would stop off to visit my brother and his family who lived in Winfield, which was about half-way between points A & B. This particular day we had stopped off and I was playing with my brother's kids, Johnny (7) and Rendi (4). I was 8. Rendi went into the house and came running out in just a few minutes. "Elvis died and they brought him back to life and he died again!" We thought she was crazy. But sure enough, when we went inside to catch the news (which came from Shreveport, LA), all they were talking about was that Elvis had died. People had begun their pilgrimage to Graceland and were already lining the streets of Elvis Presley Boulevard. It would be the only news story for several weeks on end.

We weren't sure where Rendi got the part about him coming back to life before finally dying. In the years since his death, I've learned that there was all sorts of speculation after he died and all kinds of crazy stories. People were in shock. The King was dead, or was he?

So, where were you when you heard the King was dead? I'd like to hear from you.

Meanwhile, you can find out all kinds of things about Elvis you never thought about by clicking here or here.

Before you go, remember, Elvis is watching you...

No comments: