Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What is a muscodine?


A muscodine (actually spelled "muscAdine," as mentioned before) is a grape, typically wild, that grows mostly in Southern States within the US. I don't know much about them particularly. I just remember that my grandmother used to pick them off a vine that grew along a fence in her back yard. She would freeze them and my cousins and I would suck on them until they melted. We never bit into them. We were afraid to. By the time the grapes had melted in our mouths, it was time to spit them out. They were the most sour things I can think of - including persimmons. My kids like sour candy. I can assure anyone that a good, ripe muscodine will give sour candy a run for its money - any day. One can only imagine what those sour little suckers can do in a batch of wine. (If somebody knows where I can find a vintage, please let me know.)

Anyway, this site is going to be dedicated to the uniqueness of the things that can be found in the South, more particularly East Texas. Even though I don't live there today, it shaped who I am and has given me a unique perspective on the world. That perspective is what I hope to share and convey here.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I don't know that much about clogging and don't recall hearing anything about it as a kid. However, when I was kid I remember going to my mother's family reunion where I was exposed to bluegrass and country (not western) music. I know that dancing was definitely a part of the whole scene.

As for bluegrass music, I'm still learning groups and bands. I spent most of my life avoiding association with bluegrass/country music. It finally dawned on me that it was part of who I was. I was able to relax and embrace it.

In the course of this self-discovery, I found that I had a cousin on my mother's side - the late Argell Walker - who played with Ray Price (a big bluegrass guy). From what I've been able to gather, my mother's family have some deep bluegrass roots. I've been meeting these people more and more over the last few years.

You can bet as I discover more music, I'll be talking about it here.

j

blanco said...

hoel...last november i drove down to western north carolina to go camping with some friends. on our way home we picked up a 1-2 gallon jug of muscadine cider at a roadside gas station.

the funny thing about it was that the label read toward the bottom: "warning! be sure to keep the lid loose on the jug once it has been opened, as the gases may build up dangerous pressure and cause eye injury upon reopening."

we drove the whole 10 hours home opening that jug every 15 minutes.