Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Life is Full of Suprises...

I never cease to be amazed. In the course of my life I have been so surprised by things that I thought never would happen or thought couldn't happen. It's like this...I have this idea about something and I think "there's no way in that dirty, dark place that my wife would ever go along with that." So, I don't tell her about it. I go along for days and finally mention it to her - because I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. She says "that's a great idea." I'm floored.

Everybody goes through rough times in their relationships. I've come to know that all too well. Sometimes, it gets SO bad that it seems it won't get any better. I have been surprised - again and again - by how something that appears so hopeless can be resolved just by taking the time to talk about it. I talked to a friend recently about stuff going on with my wife and I. "Have you said anything to her about any of this?" Nope. "Then how do you think it will get better?" No answer from me.

So, I take the risk and bring it up to my wife. We end up talking about this - and other stuff - for days on end. It's as if we've turned to a new chapter in our lives together. Surprised doesn't describe how I feel. Amazed. Stunned. It all works.

There are plenty of suprises that are bad. I think too often we go around bracing ourselves for bad stuff that we're afraid might happen and miss out on the good things that were a bit risky at the time. I like being surprised. I could use a lot more of the good kind.

No comments: