Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Check Out Friends on My Space

There's been a lot of bad publicity surrounding the site MySpace.com and with good reason. Teenie-bopper girls have hooked up with older, sicko guys through this service. It's true that thousands, possibly millions use the site to hook-up with whoever. (Let me say this - out front - to my darling wife, who will likely read this post...I haven't even looked around. I'm only talking from what I've heard about the site in the news) But, I've learned that there's a good side to MySpace and I've really been able to enjoy that side quite easily over the last few days.

It all started last month, when my brother-in-law, the coffee meister himself, asked us to take in 3 rock stars from the band Discover America for the night after their show nearby. We didn't get to take them in. It would have been out of their way. We put them up in a hotel, dropped some cash in their coffers and had a nice talk with one of the guys. During the discussion, he asked if we were on MySpace. I told him no, but we exchanged e-mail addresses, gave them directions to the hotel and went on home.

Later that week, I decided to look up DA on MySpace. When I found them, I wanted to post them a message, but discovered that I needed to sign up in order to proceed. So, I did. I thought it was cool and moved on. Within just a few days, I heard from a friend from high school, another person who was a friend of a friend from my home town, two friends from Mississippi and got in contact with people I had long since lost touch with years ago.

So, if you're interested in finding old friends, want to keep up with the friends you have, want to make new ones or even pretend that you're a rock star, you might want to give MySpace a once over. You can start by looking at my profile and the profile for me, the musician. How's that for shameless, self-promotion?

No comments: