Friday, October 21, 2005

More Thoughts on 37

In a previous post, I was musing about reaching the age of 37 and how that age appears to be a threshhold for athletes in terms of when their bodies begin to break down and skills begin to decline. After writing, I realized that I failed to mention two more 30-somethings that will be participating in (more appropriately, watching up-close) the fall classic that starts on Saturday in Chicago.

Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas, both 37, share the same birthday (May 27, 1968) - 5 1/2 months before my own. Both guys, baseball legends in their own right, virtually inactive for the World Series. Of course Bagwell has seen a dramatic recovery in the past 5 months and has been activated since early September. Frank Thomas, on the other hand, is on the DL for the series. Both men are considered leaders by their teammates and have been receiving accolades throughout the sportsworld during their teams' runs into October. Why, you might ask? Both have put together very distinguished careers and have remained with the same team through it all. Truly remarkable - to both men's credit.

To me, it's truly amazing to know that I've seen both men play over the past 15 years. They're considered heroes in their own right, but they're MY AGE! Of course I should note: they're a LOT better at the game of baseball than I ever was! God bless them. It's truly a gift to get to play the sport they way they have.

No comments: