Thursday, September 08, 2005

Mystery Worshipper

It's amazing what can be found when you're bored, you have lots of time on your hands and a computer with a broadband internet connection. I've been afforded these luxuries recently, due to a job transition. (I'm in a lame duck period at my current employer. I gave my two-weeks notice last week and have the remainder of this week and four days next week to serve here before starting my new job next Friday.)

In my surfing, I revisited a site called Ship of Fools, the Magazine of Christian Unrest. It's a site full of parody, satire and humor directly related to church and church tradition. Of course the name of the site comes from one of my all-time favorite bands, the Grateful Dead, which is known for their own bit of wit and humor. If you're a little cynical about what you see in the church world and Christianity today, the Ship of Fools might be just what you need to take the edge off your experience.

One of the coolest sections of the website is found at the Mystery Worship link. It is a running archive of several people who attend various churches incognito. Of particular interest to me and this blog is the account of the mystery worshipper attending the First Baptist Church in Athens, Texas, which is in the heart of my old "stomping grounds." There also is an account of attending Christ Church in Nacogdoches. But, I think my favorite of all the accounts has to be the account of attending the Cowboy Church in Rosanky, Texas where the mystery worshipper identifies himself as being from East Texas. How cool is that?

So, when you have time, pay a visit to the Ship of Fools site and have a look around at where the mystery worshipper has been. Who knows, he might even be sitting next to you at your church this Sunday! So, be nice...

No comments: