Saturday, March 27, 2010

It Absolutely Made My Day!!!

I've had the same commute for 2 1/2 years. I drive along Texas Highway 105, between Conroe and Montgomery, Texas at least twice every day. I chose this commute over my old one, up and down Interstate 45 between Conroe and the Galleria in Houston for obvious reasons: shorter drive, less traffic and usually a less eventful commute altogether. Within the past month, the commute changed a little in that the speed limit dropped 5 mph along the entire route, and with good reason. The Montgomery lake area is getting more and more populous and there's more traffic along the route. Because of the change, there's been a lot more police, sheriff and highway patrol cars along the route handing out tickets, which logically translates into slower traffic movement altogether. I'm still getting used to it, just like everybody else. So far the tickets have been going to everyone else, thank God.

Anyway, we all know there's always somebody out there that comes along that we really wish that THEY would get a ticket because of their fast, reckless and annoying driving habits. "Where's a cop when you need one" is usually what I say under my breath. Well, yesterday, there just happened to be a cop in the area, or more appropriately, a Texas Highway Patrol, and the whole incident made my day.

I was on my way home from Montgomery, on a stretch where the highway goes from 2 lanes in both directions, to 3. Naturally, as cars approach, they tend to speed up a little in order to get their pick of the 3 lanes and get on down the road. I was riding along and noticed in my rear view this sporty Lexus - with out-of-state plates - bearing down behind me. The driver quickly changed lanes to pass me but didn't have room, with the other car riding in the next lane over, just a few yards ahead. The Lexus quickly switched back behind me, bearing down again, as we approached the last traffic signal before the widened highway. Considering that I drive a Ranger pickup with a 4-banger engine, I got over after the signal to let the Lexus go on through, and boy did it ever! It went by so fast, my little Ranger rocked as the faster car whizzed by. I was riding with my daughter and I muttered "what I wouldn't give for a cop to be waiting over that hill." Little did I know that a trusty Texas HiPo was in hot pursuit.

Back up the road, before I the Lexus made its presence known in my rear-view mirror, we passed a HiPo going in the other direction. I was relieved that I was driving within 5 mph of the speed limit (remember, the speed limit changed recently). Apparently that little Lexus was speeding before it ever got to me. And, most likely, the HiPo saw the quick dippity-do lane change that the Lexus was doing just before the highway opened up. Whatever the case, I cannot put in words the glee and sheer delight I felt to see the HiPo whiz past me (which made my little truck rock again) and run up behind that little Lexus, turn on his lights and pull it off to the right of the highway! I only wish I could have pulled up along side the Lexus and waved at its driver, as if to say "hey, you remember me?!" Only, you're not supposed to ride up along side a car that's been pulled over. I waved, but I doubt the driver saw me. Then again, maybe they did.

Yeah, I know...it's pathetic. I would have hated to have been that person. But, I wasn't and it totally made my day. It's the little things sometime that makes life worth living.

No comments: