Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A-Fraud Is Just The Beginning...

When I heard about the Sports Illustrated story regarding A-Rod's positive test for steroids, I, like many others, wondered "what about the rest?" After all, there were 104 names on the list - including A-Fraud. Why haven't we heard about them, yet? I don't know if we'll ever get the answer to that question.

After reading A-Fraud's admission and subsequent comments regarding steroid use, he raises more questions and provides less answers. Are we supposed to believe the guy didn't know what he was taking? More importantly, are we supposed to believe he's sorry for doing it? I think he's sorry he got caught. I also think he's used PED's a lot longer than any of us will ever know.

But, A-Fraud isn't alone. There are many, more guys like him who took PED's and never thought the day would come that their performance would ever come into question. Look at Miguel Tejada. Look at Roger Clemens and his testimony on Capitol Hill. The guy gets named in the Mitchell Report and his denial sounds like that everyone else is lying but him.

I think the latest developments raises another important question: should we even care about baseball anymore. Should we? When the all-time leader in home runs and the winning-est pitcher in the modern, live-ball era are being investigated for possibly lying about their use of Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED's), what does that say for the sport?! The original leaders in those categories didn't have access to them but apparently didn't need them. What does that say about today's talent? I'm sure there were a lot of clean guys playing while the cheaters cheated. Still, every stat and record has become suspect and we're nowhere close to getting to the bottom of this mess. The only way we can is for baseball to "man-up" and get it the truth out there.

But, they probably won't. No, they're hoping this story goes away. The business of baseball wants fans to ignore these questions and come on out to the ballpark for another season. I've got a feeling that I'm not going to be one of them. I don't know that I even care.

No comments: