Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Age Is Just A Number, Right?

3 days from today, I will be 38 years old. I don't feel like 38, whatever it's supposed to feel like. I'm not sure I even look 38, whatever it's supposed to look like, either.

As it says on my profile, had I any inkling that my life would go on past 21, I would have taken much better care of myself back when it counted. No silly, rickety bike ramps (now, there's a funny story). I would do a lot more looking before I leaped. I would have walked instead of running when my knee, ankle or whatever else started hurting. I also would have told the coach my arm hurt when he asked me instead of saying "no" so I could stay in the game. 18 and 19 year-olds don't think about being hobbled by injuries on up the road. 30-somethings have to live with what they did to their bodies back in the day. Still, for being almost 38 - a few days and a couple of years shy of the big "4-0" - I still feel pretty good, most of the time.

Since I started writing this blog, I take time to think about milestones, special events and even the mundane and routine in ways I never used to before. Specifically, in regard to getting one year older for instance, how should a 38 year-old act? What are 38 year-olds supposed to do? These are all questions I hope to explore over the next year.

No comments: