Monday, August 14, 2006

Do You Really Want To Be A Millionaire?

Who hasn't thought about what it would be like to win the lottery? I know I have. I've thought about it a lot actually. That doesn't mean that I've gone to the extent of buying a lottery ticket. No surprise that I've not won. I don't see the point on one hand. Then again, I wonder why I shouldn't allocate a portion of my paycheck to play regularly. Afterall, at the heart of the Texas Lottery Commission is the promise that it supports Texas education. Yeah, now there's a good cause!

There are too many stories of people who literally strike it rich only to blow it all without bettering their lives one bit with the big payday. That brings me to an article I read today in the Houston Chronicle. A Jourdanton, Texas man won the lottery almost 6 years ago only to regret that he ever won the prize. The old addage "money can't buy happiness" falls painfully short. According to the article, this man isn't alone in his troubles. How ironic! In a culture that idolizes wealth, society says a rich person should be happier than everyone else. Yet in talking to just a few of those who became instantly rich, they're more miserable than they were - before their windfall! Simply amazing.

It reminds me of the old proverb:

An inheritance quickly gained at the beginning will not be blessed at the end. Proverbs 20:21

I don't have anything against rich people or people getting rich. I think I'd like to try my hand at it one of these days. However, that fortune may cost a lot more than the price of a lottery ticket at the local convenience store.

1 comment:

~*~BigDaddy~*~ said...

i agree with you but for one point. i've often said that i'm glad i'm not rich. i'm glad because i know that i'd be the most arrogant and self-centered son-of-a-gun that ever lived. instant wealth would indeed change me even though i'd swear and set my foot to a path contrary, but it would. i know cuz i struggle as a poor man. money would only amplify that quality in me except that it would look better.

now, having said that, if i were to win the lottery i would try to spend the money as quickly as possible. tithe(i hope i would) and tell my pastor to build big. help any family member as needed and then some. buy some toys but within reason cuz those things you've always wanted aren't any fun if they're easy to get - they lose their value.

the other reason i'd spend it as quickly as possible is because i wouldn't want to leave a curse behind for people to fight over. hopefully if there's nothing left over then there's nothing left to fight about.

funny, it all sounds so reasonable and righteous but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen that way. "come back next week," i'd probably end up telling family.

who can know the heart? i think i have a pretty good idea.